Wednesday, April 30, 2008

School Desk

For the next few weeks most of our posts will probably be about Painting & Refinishing. Because that is what we are doing. To date we have 5 rooms painted. The kids rooms and two bathrooms. The kids rooms are detailed - so they will be another week to finish because we are painting their furniture to match it all. While I am the one pushing it - even BigGuy sees the need. After finishing the kids walls (excellently I must add) it dawned on us that their furniture looks a lot like a mish mosh of garage sale pieces. Nothing wrong with that - when we bought them they matched what we were doing, but now as the kids stuff changes so does the decor need. We want to finish the rooms so that they really look like someone from HGTV had a hand in it - or at least so that it isn't Yard Sale looking.

In starting all of this off I was given the desk I used as a child. 2nd grade is when my grandmother gave my desk to me, one year younger then SuperStar. She was a flea market and auction attender and most likely picked these desks up somewhere like that. She refinished them herself. Through the years my sister and I did a little extra decorating and some carving was done. My mom dug them out of her attic and I have refinished them. Both Spidey and SuperStar will have one in their rooms once we are all done. So - step one in furniture refinishing is done. I would also like to add that I did this job - BigGuy did a final coat of poly, but I wanted to refinish them for the kids like my grandmother did for us.









2 comments:

Jeannette E. Spaghetti said...

I had a desk like that in grade school. I LOVED IT! Even when I was a kid I thouhgt it was cool and wished I had one at home, lol. Heck, I'd take one now! (better late than never)

HalfPint said...

If I ever see one I can pick it up for you. Every once in awhile I see them at flea markets.