Wednesday, September 10, 2008

In the Woods


This is my first Officially Built By Me camp fire since I started camping with BigGuy. Prior to being with him (11 years married, 14 years camping together), when I camped with my friends I was the fire maker. Since camping with BigGuy I am no longer in that position - and now I know why. While I was starting the fire my co-leader fell into the role of organizing the girls and keeping them "behaved". I now think that BigGuy builds the fire so he can be "without child responsibility". Tricky tricky.

Anyway, we hadn't mentioned it prior to this (that I can remember), but last weekend SuperStar and I went camping with our Girl Scout troop. Yes, seriously they trusted me to lead a bunch of 3rd & 4th graders for an overnight in the woods. Why would they? Not sure, but we had insurance through GSUSA just in case it didn't work out perfectly. Through the whole 24 hours there was only one casualty - and that was only one of the girls being so homesick she went home in the first 3 hours. No, it wasn't SuperStar - although she apparently snuck in 2 phone calls to BigGuy because she "missed him just so much".

So we really roughed it - in the Camp Lodge!! This past spring our scheduled camp trip was tornado'd away, so to be safe we decided to book this one in the lodge so we could follow through regardless of weather (although a tornado would have kept us home again). It did rain - all the way up to the time we got there. Then it all cleared up and we had a very nice time. It even warmed up enough for our crazy girls to dip their bodies into the lake to swim.

With BigGuy being the Cub Scout leader Spidey is already making plans for when he can take their troop camping. Well, he actually is making plans for his troop to go with our troop - he doesn't get that Cub Scouts can go alone - or he does and he just figures that if they pretend to work on the fire the Girl Scouts will do all the work - hmm.......

No comments: