Monday, September 29, 2008

The Three Days of Birthday......

Spidey's birthday came and was celebrated for 3 consecutive days. Sounds like a lot, but usually the celebrations last for a weeks time - we all got off easy because at the end of the weekend we were all EXHAUSTED!! Fun was had though. The event started in the afternoon the Friday before his actual birth day (which was Saturday). I showed up and we served up cupcakes to all his school friends. His teacher offered him 7 Smacks on the Lips or 7 Smacks with the Hand. For a moment I feared that Spidey was going to get an old fashioned spanking with a pinch at the end because I knew he was NOT going to choose 7 kisses from any of us in a public forum such as his classroom. And I was right. He picked 7 Smacks with the Hand Lucky for him it turned out to be his whole classroom clapping 7 times and then pinching the air. I asked him later if he knew what was coming with the 7 smacks thing - he said "no", but that he didn't want anyone to kiss him (told ya so). One little kid had the nerve to tell me that the cupcakes were gross and tasted like old gross hotdogs. I think that was the ugly head of jealousy being raised and I told him his tastebuds were broken and he should go to see the doctor. After school it was home to get the house ready for the sleepover.

Yes, we did allow Spidey to invite a bunch of little 7 year old boys to stay overnight at our house. Yes, we have gone insane.

Overall the sleepover went well. There were 8 little boys - SuperStar had CO to stay over and Babers had his friend CC over until bedtime came around. We have had several sleepovers before - only they were primarily little girls staying over. Small groups of 4 - large groups of 12 - some boys scattered in, but never were boys the majority.


What I learned about little boys and sleepovers (BigGuy will say this is sexist and that it is not fair because little girls can be the same way - only in my personal research they have NOT been the same) -
* Boys are much louder then girls when worked up (girls can be louder, but boys are louder)
* Boys fight a lot. One would be standing there saying something nice to the other and all of a sudden that kid would punch him. No reason. Then the other kid would laugh and hit him back. They tried this on SuperStar - she hit the kid hard and then got mad and walked away complaining. Basically the girls stayed very far away from the boys most of the night.
* Boys cry a lot - I mean A LOT. One would say, "You aren't my bestest friend anymore." and the one being spoken to woudl burst in tears. I have heard little girls say these words to one another, but the little girl spoken to turned around and said, "So what." and walked off.
* Boys make up weird games. Okay, every group of kids make up their own games by twisting a bunch of things together. I get that. However, these boys made up some weird games.........they were watching Star Wars and I hear someone singing the "I Kissed a Girl" song - then they changed it to "I Kissed a Boy" - then one of them said "try to kiss me" and someone did kiss him - then another said, "try to kiss me on the lips" and someone did - then another said "let's play Star Wars Kiss a Boy" and they did until someone said, "I kiss girls" and then another said, "I am dating a girl" then Spidey said, "I'm dating a teenage girl" and another said, "I am dating a super model named She." Then I stopped listening. Boys play weird games.

Everyone was asleep by 11:00pm - except the girls who stayed up until past midnight. The next morning families showed up to claim their kiddo's and we went back to semi normal. Only -------it was the actual birthday and we still had to keep going with the celebration.

We had the O's over for a bit when they came to pick up their kiddo's. They brought their new puppy, Wilber. Very cute little (well, not really little) guy. The kids ran about and we drank coffee and beer (not mixed) with donuts. Once they left we had some quiet time - then started the events again. First up - shopping at Target for a new Spidey Bike - then to Make a Mess (a local kid center that we really never take the kids because it is an expensive rip off) - to Chili's for dinner (Spidey's favorite place) and finally to the hotel for swimming, a movie and some cake. This last part was a total surprise for Spidey. He was NOT expecting it. We had present hidden in the room and the cake (gooey butter - he is a smart kiddo). I think he thoroughly enjoyed his Birthday!!

No comments: