Friday, May 14, 2010

So it Finally Happened.......someone made me feel used!

There is just so freakin' much to do in the month of May! It is the "end" of every committee, every club, every group, every class.........every every really. With 3 kids in 3 different classes in 2 different schools that can make for a good chunk of STUFF to do. In just the past 2 weeks we have attended a 4/5th grade school musical, a 2/3rd grade school musical, a Preschool musical, a Girl Scout Bridging ceremony, softball practices, baseball practices, math efficiency test (that was too darn early on a Saturday thank you very much!), school Alumni night and then the normal life stuff - class reading volunteer, class parent, PTO, hosted my Bunco group, had a GREAT group of friends and their 12 kiddo's over for an evening BBQ.....blah blah blah.....but generally I almost ALWAYS feel like I am on a team of people that are connecting together and helping one another. I never feel alone working it out myself.

Until just the other day.

And I was totally surprised that I was left with the feeling because the people who did it are supposed to be people that are on top of their game. Yes, everyone has a down time. I can forgive - and I will - honestly.

Just what do you do with the statement, "Well I am too busy working"? It was in reference to an activity that they agreed to be part of in every sense of the planning, purchasing and enjoying........yet when it came down to it 3 of the 5 people (I am including myself in the count) came back with a reference to "being too busy". Gosh, me too. One even started to list the events she had to attend for her child. Her ONE child. For a second I considered listing off the things I had to attend for my THREE children........but knew it would bring her to her knees crying - so instead I stifled my eye roll and smiled. "yes you are SOOOOO busy - how can you handle it?"

Then I decided to just do it myself. By the time I talked to the 5th person (who had a totally legit reason on to be able ot help - all the other conversations had been the same) I was just pretty much offering to do it myself and asking for cash. Her response, "Well we all have to go to the grocery store........can't these people pick a few of these things up there?" And with that I fell in love with her. She took a few things off the list - happily - sarcastically - fabulously!!! and I loved her for the help. Really her sarcasm made it all better.

But for the first time ever I felt used. I felt overwhelmed, but that was brought upon myself for overloading my plate. But this was the first time I felt that they were dissing my stay at home status as an open invitation to let go of their own responsibility........"oh she has all the time in the world.....she stays home."

Kinda like when I get the sheets back from school that list me as "No Job" - and I always cross it out with two lines and write in "Ruler of the Patty-G'Sell World".

No comments: