Sunday, November 29, 2009

What I Can Easily Find

Remember I asked the other day "Where Is Precious"? Well a movie that I can find EVERYWHERE is Blind Side. At first I thought that this was a "comfort" zone kind of race thing. Well......honestly a little bit I still do think that. But not completely anymore. I understand through a little reading that one was a big budgeted film to begin with - big stars - big intent and hope attached for returns probably even. The other was a smaller film that was seen by a largely influential woman who was able to help push it into the lime light and it has grown in popularity to become a box office success. And I believe both films are doing very well. I have only seen the easily found film so far. And I must say that I did like the film.......but I think it fell a little short on its teachable moments.

Remember February? My month of White Privilege blogs? Well I must say that I believe the family in this movie probably now fully understands what I am talking about. However, I think the film could have touched much more strongly on it. This probably sounds funny coming from me because our family photos will some day look similar to this families photos (minus the football uniforms I hope). But what I was hoping to see in this movie was a more blatant picture of how white people are often closed off to any experience that is not their own - and how that changes. Often times we (whites) see our history as every one's history. We have been taught that White History is every one's history. But it isn't. Especially my generation and any generation that came before my group. We are are taught White Male History - shoot the word alone is HIS-tory. I can easily go to the library and find books about American History that includes what white males did for us. Easy.........there are volumes and volumes of it. Ask anyone on the street to name a famous person who changed our world and I bet you the highest percentage will answer the name of a white male. Is it our fault? Well it is if you let it continue.

Does it seem like I am getting off subject? Well I am not. I am trying to explain that I think because our society has always been conditioned to see things through the White Experience........I find myself disappointed in this movie. Maybe it is just me though. Maybe because in some ways my own experience is the Mothers experience in this movie and I can identify with her - I see that it is written from the white persons experience. Maybe I went in there wanting to more see it from the Sons experience. And don't get me completely wrong......it does show his experience......but it is from a very strong metaphor through football - which alienates me a bit. Yes, I understand why football plays such a strong role in this film.........because the young man in the movie became a very wonderful professional football player. The rags to riches (both emotionally and financially) story is inspiring. To me maybe more so then others. But lets just say that the story didn't depict such a wealthy white family - or a black youth who has become so successful - would the story still have been made into a movie? What if the white family had been only middle class......and the black youth had only become a teacher - would the story have still been made? Would it still inspire so many?

I think the story would still inspire others......but I question weather the story would have been made. Maybe. I hope.

The one thing that I truly hope to see come out of this film is an opening up of our society to embrace the children of African American decent here in the United States. I am asked just about once a month what part of African our youngest son is adopted from. When I tell them that he is a child born in the United States many of them seem genuinely confused. They assume that we would cross the ocean to adopt. They are much less interested when I tell them he is from the same country they are. In some instances they have told me that they hoped he was from Africa because they plan to adopt from there and hoped I could give them some tips about the process. When I suggest that if they are comfortable adopting cross race lines there is a much closer to home way to adopt and help a US child - they aren't interested. I have asked myself why many times.

Is it their love for Africa? Don't they love the United States as much?

Is it their need to help a child living in horrible conditions? Don't they understand kids in foster are there because of horrible conditions?

Is it their need to do what is popular and cool? Don't they realize a child is not an accessory? They can save $20,000, adopt here through foster care for free and then bank that money to send the child to college.

Course I know some of these families. China, Russia, Africa. And I know that their choice was the perfect one for them. And I wouldn't change their experience at all. But maybe Blind Side will begin to change the attitude of those families who have yet to adopt. Then it will become more common - maybe.

I am hoping.

No comments: