Thursday, January 10, 2008

Riddle me this...

Okay, we are totally baffled as to what our children will eat. We are eating healthier again (which basically means we aren't picking up take out - we have always cooked healthy meals when we do it ourselves). We are also accommodating the kids taste choices while trying not to make an entirely separate meal (which means pulling their meats, veggies or noodles out before sauce or spice is added). The other day I made Maple Glazed Salmon for BigGuy and I - broccoli and salad. The kids had fish sticks, which they swore the week before (we were having shrimp and they ranted they hated shrimp) they loved and that they would eat that sort of fish. Trying to be fair when we had fish this week I made them the fish sticks they said they loved - they hated them and swore they never said they liked them (but Spidey did eat all his and have seconds). The next day we had chicken, green beans, salad and they had mac & cheese. They hated the chicken and green beans - loved the rest. Then last night I figured I had heard enough whining that I was just making something I wanted and they could skip the meal. I made stew - celery, carrots, onions, garlic, chicken broth, beef, spices and 1 1/2 cps red wine (knowing they would hate this). Realized after I put the whole thing together that I only had 1lb of beef and needed 3lbs. Babers fell asleep on our way home from our playdate so I couldn't stop at the store for more and then once home I got creative. I added 1lb of chicken and 1lb of uncooked shrimp (knowing the kids would most likely throw up). Made them some noodles, served BigGuy and I a salad and dished out the stew. They LOVED it!! Raved, asked for more, said the shrimp especially tasted fabulous, dug more shrimp out to eat, loved the chicken (didn't care for onions or beef - but who does?), and ate it all raving what a wonderful cook I am, said they never told us they didn't like shrimp or chicken. BigGuy and I just sat there wondering "What the......????" (this is our kids new phrase). So I give up, I don't know what to expect - maybe next week I will try a Salmon Souffle or something (although that doesn't even sound good to me).

1 comment:

Me said...

This is my new stance on food preparation as well. I am going to make foods that I know Jake and I will like. They boys at least have to try it and know that I'm not making anything else. If they don't try new things, or things over and over again, how will they find things they like to eat. I do have some nights though where it's popcorn chicken or frozen pizza with veggies and fruit, and I know that it won't be a fight with Julien. It's always exciting when they do say they like something they previously didn't like.