Saturday, November 15, 2008

Mr. Higgenbottom

This story is kinda all over - the day after the election I decided to totally embrace change - because everyone was saying it and technically Obama can't take office officially until next year so there had to be some kinda of change happening for me in order to keep the feeling alive until then.......so I decided "time to unpack all that crap (I mean valuable stuff) that is still in the basement storage/cat room". And I did. Not the smartest thing I have ever done (because there are sooooo many smart things to choose from), but still it was a good thing to have done. There were 4 wardrobe boxes that we had filled with Fisher Price toys (the big house kinda things), 3 large plastic tubs with books, stuffed animals and toys, then about 5 or 6 regular sized plastic tubs with more toys, kitchen stuff and some coats and various items we couldn't figure out what to do with. I unpacked it all - repacked donation things (4 large wardrobe boxes) with various things listed above that included this Disney Princess Tea Party set.
This puppy was given to SuperStar when she was about Babers age - so that means it has been around for at least 7 years. Yes, most of the pieces are still here. Now.....my blog is not about my unpacking all our stuff (finally)......it is also not about embracing change in the election of President Elect Obama (although I will see how many times I can sneak that in).........this blog is about BOYS - yes, Boys. Do Not PreJudge Boys to Be Boys (a term that I personally dislike - what does that mean "Boys will be boys" - heck, by the standards set to be a boy my daughter is a boy).
You see, this is Mr. Higgenbottom. A gentleman that I had not met before entering my home the other evening and seeing him taking tea in my kitchen. I was never introduced to the woman having tea with him as I found Mr. Higgenbottom and his accent to be so dog gone funny!! A British Gentleman in his underpants having tea in my kitchen. Was it past their British bedtimes? Yep, but it was so cute I decided not to stop it for a bit and took some photos. Of course this is when Mr. Higgenbottom started to think about the Family Blog and requested that his photo not be used. To which his British friend laughed - and he panicked covering the camera lens like some celebrity being harassed by paparazzi.
My real point is though - perhaps it is the more traditional area that we live in - I hear a lot of people say, "Boys will be boys" and when a boy isn't quite like the "boys" and he likes tea (or the other day Babers had a playdate over and they both cried to have a baby - we found them each a Bitty Baby to play with - and they made their babies kiss, snuggle and then they put them down for a nap), playing house or doing crafts people will snicker a bit and say he is "different". That isn't cool. Girls can play rough - so let's let our boys play whatever way they might play and then they won't duck from photos like Mr. Higgenbottom did.

Gotta love Mr. Higgenbottom - I think he must be a Jeckyl/Hyde kinda guy, because the other day he looked like this.............always in the underpants.....

No comments: