Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Does This Gross You Out?

Recently I have been teasing a Single Dad Friend about his meal planning for his girls. Not that he does a poor job by any means - just that he often times confuses starches for vegetables. Course - so many people do. He and I debate weather Corn and Potatoes served at the same meal with a meat really does cover all the basic food groups. He swears it does - and if the potatoes have cheese on them..........well that gives you dairy too.

And since I have been bugging him about it (in a nice way) I have also been paying attention to the veggies we eat - not that I am worried we are covering them correctly - just that I want to make sure my kids get the "fun" and "useless" vegetables like Corn too. Because even though I see them as a waste of my eating time - they LOVE them.

Yet at the same time I try to add in vegetables made in a way that might confuse my kids (and BigGuy) into thinking that they are eating the "fun" veggies - when they aren't. Like Faux Mashed Potato - or Mashed Cauliflower. Does that gross you out?
It is really easy to make:
1 head Cauliflower
1 steamer (I love my Pampered Chef Microwave cook pot)
a few Tbs of Butter (we use Smart Beat - which isn't butter, but they don't know that)
Salt or Pepper to taste
4oz of FF Cream Cheese (if you want - we don't actually add this every time)
Mixer or Food Processor (or you can probably smash them by hand too)
** Whatever other seasoning you want - we have done Hidden Valley packets, Tastefully Simple Dried Tomato Basil Pesto mix - whatever you like.

1) Steam the Cauliflower
2) Dump them into the food processor and process them until they are smooth - adding in butter and seasons as you go along
3) Serve - Ohmigoodness it is THAT SIMPLE!!

The other night I made these - then sliced up a few Summer Squash, an Onion and a Turkey Kielbasa - sauteed the Onion in Olive Oil until kinda softish - added in the Kielbasa & Summer Squash - cooked until they were hot, but the squash wasn't squish - and then served it on top of a scoop of Mashed Cauliflower -
YUM!!!

We have also done this thing where we use the Mashed Cauliflower in place of potato and make a Shepperd's Pie - again - YUM!!

SuperStar knows what she is eating, but I am not concerned because she is a 3rd generation Cauliflower lover - every time my mom is in town she asks us to make the Mashed Cauliflower. Yum!

Does it gross you out though?

3 comments:

mjblaze said...

I thought it was a great idea the first time I saw you do it and may try it sometime. The veggie thing is an issue here. Steve was raised with potatoes and corn at the same meal....hello....something green?!

Jeannette E. Spaghetti said...

I've had mashed potatoes with cauliflower mixed in and that was great. I bet your mashed cauliflower is mmmm, mmmm good.

I need to start finding new ways to eat my vegetables because I'm about to burn out this salad trend. The problem is, it's hard to cook for one. Especially when not everything is good reheated.

I hate green beans.

HalfPint said...

I LOVE green beans Jeanette! Have you had them made the Jessica way? She introduced me to my favorite green recipe ever.