Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Why is February Black History Month?


This I found very interesting. I had read something recently by Henry Louis Gates Jr. He had made suggested that it was not surprising (or something of the sort) that Black History Month would be in the shortest, darkest and coldest month of the year. The statement kinda wreeked of the sentiment that perhaps it was a racist assignment to have Black History Month in February.

I have been thinking about it and keep meaning to find out if there was a reason that this month was chosen. Then it jumped out at me in Time Magazine.

Now, the first statement was also in Time and a reader responded stating that Mr. Gates did not know his Black History Month history - I qoute, "He should know it is an outgrowth of Negro History Week, founded in 1926 by historian Carter G. Woodson, who selected mid-February to honor the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. Black History Month remained in Februrary out of respect for Woodson's scholarly choice."

I didn't know that! Did you?

No comments: