Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Racism Conveyor Belt - Where are you standing?

So last month was Black History Month - as you know I focused on White Privilege. There, of course, was a mixture of things that define what White Privilege is and also some touches on racism in our society today. Also - I said it was my focus for the Month. Wel...........sorta that was a lie.........it isn't my focus for the month - it is my focus for the life of my children who are peach, tannish and brown like yummy chocolate (these are their self designated colors). It is just as important for my "brown like yummy chocolate" child to be able to interpret and navigate through racism and white privilege as it will be for my "peach" and "tannish" children to interpret and navigate through racism. All three will experience various situations through out their lifetimes - as the perpetrators as well as the victims. On top of that - it is important for BigGuy and I to continue to better our own knowledge and lives - identify what we can do better - how we can respond more responsibly - and how we can help to educate others instead of just excuse minor indiscretions (on our part and others) and "not intended mistakes". We owe that to our kids, our family and the world (dorky and dramatic - but absolutely true).

In that regard I want to share a book I have been reading - "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? And Other Conversations About Race" by Beverly Daniel Tatum, PH.D.

I picked this book up last month on Valentines Day. Our fam spent part of the day at the bookstore picking out our Valentine gifts - books. Yes we really are that totally cool - deal with it. Now, if my memory serves me (because I am too lazy to go back to look) I mentioned this book last month. It was my intent to copy a passage of this book for you at the end of the month. And while some would say I got distracted, ran out of time, or just didn't get to it - I am going to say that I decided that March was a better month to do my finale for February. That is more empowering then to agree with the above thoughts you all had (shame on you).

So here it is - copied directly - I get no credit for this - except I do get credit for sharing it - it is a wonderful way to rate yourself on the racism scale -

"I sometimes visualize the ongoing cycle of racism as a moving walkway at the airport. Active racist behavior is equivalent to walking fast on the conveyor belt. The person engaged in active racist behavior has identified with the ideology of White supremacy and is moving with it. Passive racist behavior is equivalent to standing still on the walkway. No overt effort is being made, but the conveyor belt moves the bystanders along to the same destination as those who are actively walking. Some of the bystanders may feel the motion of the conveyor belt, see the active racists ahead of them, and choose to turn around, unwilling to go to the same destination as the White supremacists. But unless they are walking actively in the opposite direction at a speed faster than the conveyor belt - unless they are actively anti racist - they will find themselves carried along with the others."

"So, not all Whites are actively racist. Many are passively racist. Some, though not enough, are actively anti racist. The relevant question is not whether all Whites are racist, but how we can move more White people from a position of active or passive racism to one of active anti racism? The task of interrupting racism is obviously not the task of Whites alone. But the fact of White privilege means that White have greater access tot he societal institutions in need of transformation. To whom much is given, much is required."


I LOVE that last sentence - To Whom Much Is Given, Much Is Required

Where are you on the racism conveyor belt? Honestly? Where do you want to be? What needs to happen to get you there?

No comments: