Sunday, May 3, 2009

SuperStars a Pre-Teen....

You know I never much went in for the whole thought of a "Pre-Teen". Yes, when I was counseling I did notice that around 4th grade there were more girl groups coming to see me because of a bit of drama here and there - and by 5th grade all 3 schools I worked in had a girl drama group coming to see me on a fairly regular basis - but still "pre-teen" meant very little to me. Probably because I didn't have anything personal at stake. Now I have SuperStar. And she is almost double digits (just 3.5 months away) and then will officially be a "Pre-Teen".



Now I know that the real deal - Teenagers - are given a bad rep because of Attitude. They roll their eyes, think we parents are the biggest dorks in the world (which of course I will NEVER be thought of - ha), give their siblings the cold shoulder and the business whenever is possible, and the world is a DRAMA that we adults could never EVER understand because we are so darn OLD!

I am not as clear about what makes a Pre-Teen a Pre-Teen - but I am fairly certain that the qualities of this life experience is beginning to surface.
* At least 2x per week a new BFF surfaces - there aren't any fights, but there are changes in the structure of who is friends with whom. Most of SuperStars friends are guys - E,S,I & E - then there are a few consistent girls - A,M, M & L. But they are all shifting.
* There are crushes - SuperStar leaves signs of these crushes in the way she talks about the SAME boy over and over and over - what he does - what he is reading - what he did during recess, etc.
* There is the torture of her middle brother and the over abundance of love for her youngest brother - usually this adoration for TheKing is done only when Spidey is within ear shot and can see how much he is not loved (sad - and this one bugs the crap out of me - so I do step in).
* The GIGANTIC sighs - over and over and over - usually proceeded by statements like, "I'm bored."
* Her shift to wanting to eat healthy - nothing but water with meals, sweets only 1x per week (which within 2 hours then switched to 2x per day - and then seemed to switch to Sweets All Day Long by the end of the week).
* And then there are the notes that she leaves me. Recently she left a funny one (well it probably wasn't funny to her) and if this note left on my pillow the other night is any indication of "pre-teen-ess" then I am probably starting to get a sneak preview of the Pre-Teens

"I am not feeling anywhere close to okay and I could barely get up to write this. I didn't want to bother you and I couldn't make it to you. Hope I'm not dead when you read this."

Oh the drama!! She wasn't dead by the way - she lived to see another day - although if the emotional torture of Spidey continues the story might change.

Welcome to the Pre-Teens (at the age of 9.75)~

No comments: