Friday, May 8, 2009

Ding Dong Ding Dong Ding Dong - Bad Mommy Moment

Lately SuperStar has been "taking care of" TheKing. Kinda like BrotherSitting - only she isn't asked and she doesn't get paid - she just plays with him. He LOVES this.

When the bus pulls up every afternoon - if TheKing is awake (and it isn't raining) he stands at the door and then runs out onto the driveway to hug SuperStar "hello". Then Spidey says, "Can I have a hug too?" and raises his arms out. TheKing turns away and doesn't even answer - Spidey will often ask again and TheKing will turn and say "NO" and then continue running back into the house.

Now, this is enough to make anyones heart hurt. You see you little brother run and welcome your sister in a happy shrieking way - then you get the cold shoulder. Yuck. So each time this happens I hug Spidey and tell him how wonderful he is and what a stinker little 3 year olds can be.

Today Spidey is home with what I think is a ficticious illness. But I am not going to complain too much - he was warm, complained of stomach yuck and looked a bit out of it. A few other kids have reportedly gone home today after throwing up in class or at lunch - so it was probably good he wasn't there anyway. TheKing is LOVING that Spidey is here. Someone to play with. This is a bit of a turn from the usual when he shuns Spidey for SuperStar - so I want to make use of this attention. And after awhile - when I thought Spidey was doing okay - I let them go outside to play in the backyard together - making Spidey promise that if he comes in he bring TheKing with him. They went in the backyard and got on the trampoline to play. Spidey zipped the tramp up and all was good. Usually the kids will jump for a good chunk of time - so I headed upstairs to put a basket of laundry away - checked out the window - boys on trampoline - all is good. Went down to the kitchen - checked out window - boys on slide - all is good. Went downstairs to get my GS booklet - spent 5 minutes there - heard the doorbell....

Ding Dong Ding ......a trample of heavy feet - wait...if both the boys are outside who is running on the wood floors? Then as I am climbing the stairs.....Ding Dong Ding Dong Ding Dong Ding........Spidey is now saying, "Hey, how did you get out there?" and I can see he is talking to TheKing who is standing on a front porch chair he has pushed to the doorbell (a favorite passtime of his). He has climbed the backyard fence - made his way around the front door and then started ringing the doorbell to get inside.

Bet you thought Spidey was going to up-chuck on the trampoline and my mistake was letting my nauceous boy jump after eating lunch? Ha! Gotcha - I am way worse of a parent then that. My Bad Mommy Moment was thinking that my 7yr old could be trusted to remember his 3yr old brother - knowing full well that TheKing could climb the fence.

Bad Mommy.

No comments: