Friday, May 1, 2009

You Want What? When?

This month is a blur and we haven't even started it. Yesterday I spent the day running around doing school stuff the entire day. All the way into the evening. Morning was spent in Spidey's class. In need of extra help I have been hired to direct a small Fairy Tale one act play. Being an overachiever I have found props, began rehearsals during our period of time allotted, gathered various types of paper from the teachers lounge (poster board, large white sheet for backdrop, a red sheet to make a prop), I have a box for a dog house (we are doing the Little Red Hen) - remember the year I dressed SuperStar, Spidey and myself up as Momma Duck & Baby Ducks for Halloween? Well............the duck costume is being used again (mental note - it pays to not throw things out).

Babbling - so after that we went store to store to pick up items for the student teacher we love who is leaving. They are creating a "teachers bag" for her and we helped to fill it. Then I went to get things for Teacher Appreciation week for all the teachers we have. Then I went to the teacher store to get Multicultural Markers (see tomorrows post). Then back to the school for the Volunteer Thank You Lunch. Keep in mind that my 3yr old (TheKing) - who is potty training - is with me this full time. At Michaels - as I have just collected EVERYTHING I was looking for and ready to head to the front TheKing says, "I gotta poooooooooopieeeee" - I dropped every darn thing I was holding - grabbed him and whisked him to a potty quicker then I could imagine - knocking things down in my way. A worker heard the whole statement and said, "No worries I got the fall out." False Alarm - although I think TheKing was very impressed by the fact I had him across the store, out of his pants and on the toilet in 5 seconds. Following the lunch we came home for the 2 hours left of the school day - he napped, I prepped dinner and cleaned - olders arrived - homework ensued - then dinner - and then - you think this is where we relaxed? Nope - time for the schools Ice Cream Social - whooooo hooooo!!!

Now.......before we are leaving (like right before) to go to the ice cream social (which I did kinda look forward to going to and see some of my girl peeps) Superstar says, "Oh, when we get home I need you to help me sew a costume for tomorrow. It is retro day at school."

"You want what? for when?" was my response.

"Oh, and I need a retro cool costume too." add Spidey.

I do believe I glazed over. BigGuy didn't seem to even notice anyone was talking. SuperStar continued on with this impossible list of things she needed to create some costume that was supposed to be a likeness of Madonna and stated she wanted to be something from the 80's. Wait - are the 80's "Retro" now? Am I old enough that the things we wore are now RETRO?? Dang!!!!


Nixing the idea of making any purchases - siting the fact that you can not decide 3 hours before bedtime that you need a costume and expect us to head to the store - or even worse try to sew it - my brain went into "what can we cut up" mode. Flash Dance came as my first thought. That girl in the movie (the welder girl) wore ripped up sweatshirts, tights, impossibly short shorts and muscle shirts that you could see when the sweatshirt fell to the side. SuperStar seemed unconvinced - until we got home, I pulled out a sweatshirt and started cutting (she thought that was cool - note to self watch closely when SuperStar asks to use the scissors - and hope she asks before using the scissors). In the end it turned out cute.























Spidey's costume was going to be a "Sosh" or "Preppie". Funny.....when we need him to dress in Khaki's and a Polo for a nice event he whines like we are using Enhanced Interrogation Techniques (thanks Mr. Chaney - great term) on him. When we say this is what Retro Preppies wore in the 80's he is all "Oh this is so cool" - the only difference was the turned up collar. Sheesh. Unfortunately - when he put on his Dockers they turned out to be a size 5 and he is in a 7/8. He looked like a NERD - and his costume was born. We switched the Polo for a white button up - shoved some pens in his pocket - buttoned him up all the way and tucked his shirt in all wonky in the front - pulled a belt - some visibly white socks (due to the flood water length pants) and some black tennis shoes. He begged for some glasses and tape - bingo - BigGuy had eye protector glasses and we put some electricians tape on it. He is in NERD heaven!!

2 costumes - Zero Cost - 2 Happy Kids in Retro 80's costumes and 2 parents still thinking Retro can't pertain to the 80's.

Oh - and - we put these costumes together in 20 minutes with stuff from around the house. Stressing here AGAIN that it was all for $0.00. Halloween will never be $30 per costume again. The kiddo's agreed, but I am not sure they really understood.

No comments: