Thursday, May 14, 2009

Forward Thinkers

The end of the Girl Scout Law goes like this.........
"and to be a Sister to Every Girl Scout"

And at the end of saying it at each meeting I add.........
"and Boy Scout"

Why? Well, basically because I want the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts in my family (and troop) to understand that it is the same goal in both groups - to become a good person who gives back to their community, works to be a strong and helpful leader and embraces all roles to be done as well by boys as girls.

What do my girls say after I have made this statement (keep in mind it really is EVERY meeting I say this) - in the beginning they said something like, "No way..........boys are gross." And honestly - we are still kinda at that point - although a few girls now debate those girls continuing to say the "no way" by saying, "Boy Scouts are good too". But then I saw a shift at Girl Scout Day at the Capitol.

We took a Boy Scout with us...................



and even though he INSISTED that his shirt be just like everyone Else's - he did NOT want it to say Girl Scout (so as you can see I doctored it a bit for him) - he wanted to spend his day with the Girl Scouts. So my own personal children get that Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts can live in unity - and they are excited to share in the meetings of each others troops (they do too - Spidey and SuperStar participate in each others troops events). Now I was just hoping that the girls in the troop would see the same...........and they did!



There was a shift part way in the day. None of the girls ever shunned Spidey - they just kinda avoided him at first. Then he slowly became part of the group and no one seemed to treat him like an "icky boy". Then...........I overheard some girls in another group say, "What is that boy wearing a Girl Scout shirt for?" and "Why is he here, this is for Girl Scouts." and I heard one of my girls step in and say, "He is a Boy Scout and they are just as good as Girl Scouts" and another say "We should be sisters to every Boy Scout."

They got it!!!! They got it!!!!

But I didn't want to point it out - might have ruined it.......instead I just walked past them and squeezed their arms in a vague hug. Maybe all the work and time it takes being a leader is a good thing after all.

No comments: